Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Thursday, September 23, 2010

For the love of teeth

Most people dislike going to their dentist- let me rephrase that- most people loathe/ despise/downright hate going to the dentist. I am one of the oddballs who actually loves going to the dentist. Let me give you a little background on this strange phenomenon. I have been going to my dentist since I was four years old. That's right, to this day I still see my childhood dentist. My dentist is kinda like a member of the family- he has seen me through my father's death, puberty with a side of braces and acne, love gained and lost and gained again, college graduation, a Peace Corps stint and finally a wedding.Who knew!

I have had everything under the sun worked on in my mouth- braces when I was a teen, wisdom teeth out soon after, numerous cavities throughout life, a severe mouth injury which left my front teeth damaged and finally said front teeth being given lovely new  facade. Through all this work, I kept wondering how much my dentists children's college tuition was and what percentage I contributed.

My dental hygenist is just as amazing as my dentist. She is a rockstar! She is a funny, beautiful woman who own a couple dogs and a vacation home outside of a ski resort. We have a special bond since she gets to look in my mouth every 6 months and remind of how flossing really does help and that I should do it more often. ( who really flosses as they are supposed to?) All the while she has never once made me feel like I was a bad tooth brusher or that I was the bad patient of the day. She is just an amazing person who cares so much about her patients.

As I close my eyes tonight, I will think good thoughts for my dental appointment tomorrow, because now that I have written about how great my dentist is, there is no way I could have a cavity, right?

2 comments:

  1. I love this. I recently wrote a Yelp review about how much I love my dentist! :)

    http://www.yelp.com/biz/east-sacramento-dental-care-sacramento#query:dr.%20phillips

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love going to the dentist. :)

    ReplyDelete